Sunday, November 8, 2015

Rilakkuma

Rilakkuma is a huge trend in Japan. Rilakkuma is a Japanese word, but it’s written in Katakana. When I went to Japan, Rilakkuma merchandise was EVERYWHERE. Basically, Rilakkuma is a series of characters. Rilakkuma himself is a bear. The word “kuma” means bear. There’s also a white bear and a duck. These characters are seen as adorable in Japan. I have to admit, they are pretty cute.


I indulged myself and bought a Rilakkuma plushie. It was actually my first gift purchase in Japan! I wanted to give it to my brother because I thought it looked cute. I had no idea it was Rilakkuma or what Rilakkuma really was. Later, after I had been in Japan for nearly two weeks and it was nearing the end of my stay, I visited a Rilakkuma shop in Aeon mall. This is the same Aeon that I mention in my earlier post. I found the cutest little Rilakkuma plushie, and so I bought it. Nearing the end of the trip I began to spend more frivolously because I felt like I could never go to these places again, or at least never again have an opportunity to buy those products. Three days later I was home in Iowa, unpacking my souvenirs, dirty clothes and thousands of food items. I found a Rilakkuma plushie in my suitcase, the one I had bought toward the last few days. Then, I found the exact same Rilakkuma plushie I bought the first day in Japan. The moral of this story is that Rilakkuma draws you in.


Here is a picture below of Rilakkuma:

No comments:

Post a Comment