Friday, March 25, 2016

Weeaboos

Weeaboos are a name for people who are generally looked down upon in society. They love anime and manga. They feel the need to live and breathe everything Japan. They often tell people and themselves that Japan is better than America. They idolize Japan as a country for making the comics and shows they love, so they feel Japan can do no wrong. Weeaboos often try to speak Japanese but make no real effort to learn the language. They usually just learn a few words from watching anime with subtitles and use it too much or in the wrong context. The most used term by weeaboos would probably be the word "baka" or "idiot" since it's often used in anime and it often stands alone without being part of a sentence so it can't be confused as other words.

Weeaboos can also be interested in cosplay as well. Cosplay is dressing up as your favorite anime character and parading around and acting like them. I've never done it, but some of my friends have and it can be quite fun. Cosplayers often spend hours if they make costumes themselves, and if they don't make them, premade costumes cost huge amounts of money. These elaborate costumes can often come with many types of props, so they can get very pricey. For example, you might need the base outfit, a wig, colored contacts, a few hours of research to do makeup to match that character, any makeup you might need, shoes, any accessories the character might wear. If you're making a costume, the cost of materials will usually be less and the quality of the outfit will usually be higher (and fit only you) but the time spent can be hundreds of hours for a complex costume. Some people even spend hours doing makeup or putting liquid latex on to mimic scars or cuts their character may have. This often happens hours before a con. Weeaboos usually don't put that much effort in cosplay. They often wear cheap cat ears, or a poorly made schoolgirl outfit. I have nothing against cosplayers, because they put so much time and effort into their craft. It's an art, really, and I'm pretty much in love with all forms of art. I'm mad at weeaboos because they put hardcore cosplayers to shame. They often get mad if you don't know what they're cosplaying as, and some will even cosplay in plain sight, such as school or while shopping.

The reason weeaboos are problematic is because they want to get credit for things they don't actually do. They want to get praised for knowing Japanese when they really only know a few words. They want to think they're fluent because they taught themselves a few words in Japanese. i understand this a very close-minded article. I don't really hate weeaboos and honestly they are a fairly rare breed after you pass a certain age and mature. They're most often younger teenagers. I was one in 8th grade. I loved anime and even said "kyyaa" all the time. It was a dark time. I'm heavily embarrassed of that part of me but also I just think it's funny. Honestly why does loving anime and manga have to be a bad thing? The answer is it's not, it's certain people who act badly and also love these things who are problematic. My boyfriend actually hates weeaboos most of all. They make him cringe and at the same time enraged. However, they're also wildly entertaining if you can keep them at a distance and just listen to them. Wow look at me dehumanizing people. That was rather dehumanizing. I feel like this whole article is. Weeaboos are people too! However their ideals and thought processes are problematic. They're just annoying to me. I don't like them because they make me a little angry.

I've studied Japanese for 4 years, and I have to stop because my college doesn't have any Japanese classes. I chose this college despite loving Japanese because it had the best art program in the state. The probability that I'd get an art job with that college versus the college that had the best Japanese program was huge. Weeaboos want to thing they're fluent for not taking any classes, and I've studied hard and have to give up my passion. It frustrates me.

No comments:

Post a Comment