Saturday, October 24, 2015

Kabuki

Kabuki (歌舞伎) is a classical type of Japanese theater. Kabuki traditionally features only men for all the characters, whatever the gender of the character may be. Originally, kabuki was created with all women performers, but throughout the years it has transitioned to all men. These men are usually dressed in kimono and have lots of makeup on. Their hair is gelled and styled to look like traditional styles from feudal Japan.

Another aspect of kabuki is Nagauta (長唄). The first kanji is the kanji for long (nagai) and the word “uta” means song. Literally Nagauta translates to “long song.” Nagauta uses the shamisen, a traditional Japanese instrument. Usually someone also sings in the background as well. Nagauta is used primarily to set the story or create a certain mood. Nagauta tells a story that gives background information to the characters or moves from one scene to the next.

Contemporary, or more current kabuki, is often comedy. These shows are set on small stages with props and sets, just like an American play. When I went to Japan, I saw a kabuki show in an onsen, or hot spring (in this case it was a resort developed around a hot spring), I went to. Many people in the audience were laughing and having a great time. I took lots of pictures, but I couldn’t understand very much of what they were saying. My host sister translated some of it for me in English, and it was really funny. A lot of the jokes were comical misunderstandings or language puns. My love for puns is very fierce, so I enjoyed the show greatly.

Below is a picture of Kabuki actors:


No comments:

Post a Comment